Frequently Asked Questions
Understanding Your Warranty and Upgrade Pathways
atIf you are not on a Medtronic insulin pump, call our team at Southside Diabetes and we will point you in the right direction.
If you are on a Medtronic insulin pump, you need to know your warranty date. If you are on commercial insurance, Medicaid, or Tricare, you are eligible for a new insulin pump through insurance every 4 years. If you are on Medicare, your warranty – or time to a new pump – is 5 years*.
*We agree, this is stupid. Write your congressman.
Don’t know your warranty? Call Medtronic 1-800-646-4633 or call your Territory Manager.
If you are out of warranty, you get a new, upgraded pump through insurance at no cost to you. All copays and deductibles apply. Medtronic will check this for you.
If you are NOT out of warranty, you have the option to do a “Pathway Upgrade” if your warranty date is more than 6 months away, or wait to upgrade via insurance when you are out of warranty.
Pathway Upgrade enables an in-warranty (4 or 5 year, greater than 6 months) upgrade – in house, with Medtronic. This does not touch your insurance. Your warranty date remains the same. The cost is $199 if you are already on a Guardian sensor, or $299 if you are not on a Guardian sensor (including no sensor, Dexcom®, or Libre®).
Upgrading to the 780G with Guardian 4
- Navigate to www.diabetes.shop. Choose to either Log In or Create an Account. Register for the 780G upgrade, starting from May 15, 2023, at 11am PST (2pm EST). June 1 is when SSD patients will be eligible for the shipment of the new Guardian 4 transmitters (only for SSD patients via early access).
- Once your transmitter is shipped, you will get a link via email. Use this link to watch a mandatory 45-minute welcome video. Ensure you finish the entire video to proceed to the next step. After the video, you’ll receive a separate link. Use this link to download the app to begin your 780G software download.
- Set aside approximately 2 hours for this process. Be prepared to provide necessary patient input: unpairing your current Guardian 3 transmitter; then, pair your new Guardian 4 transmitter. Follow the app’s prompts to complete these steps. Note that your download will pause until you finish both these steps.
- Wait for a notification signaling the completion of your software download. Once the download is finished, you’ll be asked to install the update. Allow approximately 20 minutes for this installation. Upon completion of the installation, your 780G with Guardian 4 will be operational.
New & Unchanged Settings with 780G
Two settings are new but are automatically transferred over during the download and installation process. Your other settings are automatically transferred.
- Active insulin time (AIT) of 2 hours (2:00)
- Blood glucose target (BG Target) of 100 mg/dL
Current Settings – Unchanged
- Manual basal rate(s)
- Insulin to carb ratio (ICR)
- Insulin sensitivity factor (ISF)
- Max basal rate
- Max bolus dosage
Reasoning behind the new settings?
The clinical trials conducted for the 780G device identified the optimal settings to enhance Time in Range and minimize occurrences of hypoglycemia.
The Best Practice settings are:
- Active insulin time (AIT) of 2 hours (2:00)
- BG target 100 mg/dL
The BG target can be adjusted to either 100 mg/dL, 110 mg/dL, or 120 mg/dL. This decision should be made in conjunction with your healthcare provider based on individualized patient risks.
What if I don’t have a smartphone or home internet?
Your team at SSD is here to help. We’ve made arrangements with our Medtronic team to support you. We can help you view the mandatory 45-minute video as well as download and install the software upgrade. We will have dedicated smartphones on site and the ability to use our guest WiFi network.
**Please bring a book or something to amuse yourself during the 2-3 hour download and installation phase. We are entertaining – but not that entertaining 😊
Am I eligible for the 780G upgrade if my supplies ship from a company other than Medtronic?
Yes – but not until August 2023. If you use a durable medical equipment company (such as Edgepark, Edwards, CCS Medical, Advanced Diabetes Supply, or Byram), you will either keep your current 770G pump and use the software download phase detailed above – or receive a new 780G insulin pump. You will receive the new Guardian 4 transmitter at the same time.
Does Dr. Stallings recommend upgrading to 780G?
Yes! Call the office if you have any additional questions. You can also call Medtronic and/or your Territory Manager if you have questions or are ready to upgrade.
Southside Diabetes: 757-659-9903
1337 Armory Drive
Franklin, VA 23851
Tues - Fri: 8-5pm
Sat, Sun & Mon: Closed